Wednesday, May 13, 2009
The Unbearable Lateness of Being
Today by some phenomenon of nature I woke up early and was completely alert. I blame the sun for shining in my eyes the three hours prior, but even then my post-adolescent sleep rhythms can usually sleep through blazing daylight. This truly is a sign of the apocalypse as I usually fumble through my "mornings" in a squinty-eyed stupor. As I was already awake I had no choice but to be on time to school. As I walked to class to my surprise there were tons of students out! Imagine! Because of my chronic tardiness I will usually spot just a few meandering library goers and fellow slackers, and it sometimes seems I am the only attendee at this huge university. I was highly surprised to witness some of the rumored 50,000 students trekking to class. Even stranger was how everyone seemed to know each other. What had always seemed like a vast sea of lonely commuters, was more like one giant fraternity. I saw at least one hug (in the middle of the cross walk, no less), multiple shout outs to friends, and a possible high five all on my 10 minute walk. Another adventure in punctuality occurred a few weeks earlier when my sister and I went to a movie thinking it started at an earlier time. We loitered in the theatre for about half an hour where I spotted the Golden Girls (three old ladies) linking arms to steady themselves leaving the theatre. Though kind of a sad sight it warmed my heart to know someday when I'm old and off balance I too can go to a 3:00 Disney matinee with the gals. Yet another gem of voyeurism, I mean punctuality. Apart from attendance points and a slow stroll to class, I never knew what lateness had me missing!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment