Friday, December 4, 2009
R u o.k. ?
I think your success as a person should be inversely proportional to how many times a complete stranger has come up to you with complete sincerity and asked the question "Are you okay?". Most hurried, self focused Americans (including myself) would trouble to ask this only if a person were teetering on the edge of the Empire state building or bleeding profusely, but even then you would need some hungry orphans at your side to get any sympathy. Somehow ambling around in my middle class garb and vehicle, with a blank "I'm day dreaming" expression on my face regularly garners pity from bypassers. Admittedly, the first time this happened, I may actually have appeared a bit pathetic. My freshman year of college I was awakened from my after class bathroom couch nap by the "Are you okay?" question. True, most 20 something janitoresses would've been concerned to find a comatose freshman whilst on their nightly rounds, but really? Who hasn't taken a 3 hour nap in a public place? In a more recent instance I was literally just walking through the mall a few weeks ago when a woman I'd never met stopped me and asked "Are you okay?". When I nodded confusedly she kept on walking. Maybe I'm just lucky enough to live in a world of kind souls and good samaritans or maybe I'm the only one oblivious to just how pitiful I look.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Hahaha Michelle...Think of it this way, maybe you're just very approachable :)
http://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2009/12/the-evolution-of-the-hipster-2000-2009.html
I think you'll like how prideful #6 is.
Post a Comment