Thursday, April 15, 2010
The Runaways; A.k.a Women's Lib Diatribe 2.0
Saw the Runaway's biopic last Friday and I have mixed emotions about it. Firstly, Dakota Fanning should not age any further. Can she just stay 8? It was pretty disturbing to watch such young girls being subjected to all the exploitation and debauchery of the 70's music scene. On the flip side it was legit. Fairly accurate storytelling and (appropriately) the music rocked, not to mention it brought attention to one of the few commercially and critically successful female rock bands of the time. It seems that an instrument playing all girl "rock" band is practically myth in the music industry. It just seems there is a shortage of truly legitimized all girl groups. There are a few I can think of but it seems that while the rock genre hosts a plethora of female solo acts (hoorah), a handful of frontwomen, and an even fewer number of female instrumentalists in bands. This equates to an overall shortage of all girl rock get ups, which means it's even less likely there will be stand outs I suppose. It's sort of dissappointing and I guess I could blame some sort of misogynistic agenda, but I'm not sure sexism is entirely to blame since most people don't favor musicians because of shared chromosome composition.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment