Tuesday, November 4, 2008

I Rocked the Vote, Blanco Style

Today is a historic event. America has elected its first African-American president Senator Barack Obama, and even though I didn't vote for him it's exciting, and I'm quite interested to see what happens next. I voted for the first time today, which I did in true Blanco fashion. With 30 minutes 'til the polls closed I rushed to my voting location to cast my ballot. To my dismay (but not to my surprise) I wasn't on the list! Three voting venues and one ride from a kindly pollster later I arrived with 4 minutes to spare and cast my ballot. What amazed me most about this whole day was the sense of civic duty and patriotism. I heard about a billion times today "don't forget to vote!". At work they even let us off 30 minutes early to go vote, and the poll workers were so intent on making sure I got to vote, that they wrote out directions and even offered me a ride to my correct polling location. I was so impressed that regardless of who I was planning to vote for there was an overwhelming sense of support and unification despite party affiliation. And that's how it should be. Michelle's looking a little iffy. Last chance to campaign Barack. Am I still allowed call him Barack?

1 comment:

Steph said...

way to be a good citizen. now let's work on paying off those parking tickets. ;)