Monday, January 4, 2010

So this is the new year...

"And I don't feel any different..."

To contradict these Death Cab lyrics, for once this year does feel entirely different. On New Year's those lyrics always cross my mind, and in the past they rang so true. This is one reason I love Death Cab for Cutie, Ben Gibbard always seems to touch on some obscurity that I really identify with. The difference of a year is usually felt not when the clock strikes twelve but over the course of a year. The new year is often anticlimatic because instead of a new year, it's merely tomorrow. This January 1st I was in the middle of quoting these lyrics when I realized this year they were not true. As those lyrics crossed my mind I felt immediately that something is different, even from yesterday. There's been a motion in time greater than the flip from Tuesday to Wednesday. For no reason I can think of I feel rashly optimistic about 2010.  I'm not sure why. I harbor no bad feelings toward 2009. It was mostly pleasant and I have no need to discard it.  I have no reason to think 2010 will be some magical year and yet I feel anticipation for the future. For no reason at all I'm excited beyond belief.

No comments: